Monday, June 1, 2009

Tyler's school project- Quilted pillows


Tyler's second grade class made quilt squares after visiting with San Jose Museum of Quilts and Textiles and I volunteered to make them into pillows. The squares were so darling, all colored in with bright and bold markers I wanted the fabric to match but could not find any fabric that matched the pictures enough after visiting 4 different fabric stores and the one I did finally find not only cost 9.99 a yard, it was not even available and they could not guarantee me a date even if I ordered it. Even with my 40% off coupon, I could not make it work with the $40 budget for the 19 pillows.
So I ended up piecing the borders and the backing and I thought it turned out really cute. The one on top was one that one of Tyler's playdates made and I thought it was adorable.



This is the pile that we had to put it all together.
I strip pieced all the different fabrics -some from my stash to add variety and Tyler stuffed all those pillows we made to put inside the casing. I forgot how much fun it was to sew and piece things. I am going to get back to my quilting- or maybe I can incorporate some of my infamous fabric stashs into my papercraft!
My 4 yr old twins loved the pillows so much and they were begging me to make one for them too. I had to go out and buy some more muslin and stuffing for them to use to to paint on with my Fabrico markers and they love their little pillows I made for them this weekend with left over scraps.
I had the twins stuff their own the pillows and they loved playing with it - they said it was a cloud- and they loved taking part in making their project.
If you could only see all the "clouds" they spread all over the living room......





4 comments:

Bobbie said...

Love the pillows! Wish I were there helping, I can see the boys having a blast with the clouds:)
Hugs, Bobbie

Helen said...

They sure are adorable.

Juanita B said...

Wow, you are a VERY talented lady!!
I LOVE your work be it cards or fabric. Your hands are a gift to us.
I absolutely LOVE your playlist too,
I listened to it twice while browsing through your blog. What a pleasant place to come to. TFS.

Margery said...

Lynda, you are an amazing person. This pillow project is a major undertaking and you make it sound so easy and I know it's not!!! They look so fabulous with all different squares. They are a work of art.