Monday, December 15, 2008

Santa Pants

This is the how to on the Santa Pants on the right.

I saw something like this at my LSS where they were selling this "kit" and I thought I can figure this out so here is my version. This is using a quarter sheet of 8 1/2 x 11 CS but can be adjusted to any size you need. It is basically your 2-4-6-8 box in a smaller version. It's just that you need 2 of it- one for each leg.




















Take a quarter sheet of paper 4 1/4 x 5 1/2 and score at 1/2, 1 3/4, 3, 4 1/4 as shown, the score the bottom across at 1 1/4 inches- Just make the bottom scoring whatever the width of the box would be. Cut the silver marked lines and cut out that little 1/2 x 1 1/4 corner if you wish. You will need 2 of these in real red CS. ( I used white here to better show you the numbers and scoring lines) Fold into 2 boxes.
For the santa's pant cuffs, I thought of using felt and other dimensional fabric but I wanted to keep it totally SU so I did faux suede technique here.

Another crimper use- take a 3/4 " strip of whisper white CS and run it through the crimper a bunch of times until the fibers separate and then peel back to reveal the softer suede like center.


like this. If it separates unevenly, try separating from a different corner.

Tape the faux suede onto the bottom of the pant leg boxes and tape the 2 boxes together to make the actual pants. Try to put the seams on the inside to make it nice and neat.






For the belt I used a 3/4 inch strip of brushed silver CS. I drew 2 horizontal lines about 1/8 inch from the edge then put a line every 1 inch increment to separate out each buckle then put shorter lines about 1/4 inch from the edge. It seems like a lot of work but try to punch out the small slots with a small piece of paper- IMPOSSIBLE! It is much easier to have a long strip you can slide in to punch the holes in the buckle evenly as shown. For the last two left on the striip, punch holes on both sides

before cuttings the two buckles apart. Now you have the buckle.
Take a 8 1/2 inch wide black CS and cut a 3/8 inch black strip. Run the black strip through the belt buckle as shown on the sample and tape down as shown.




take 8 1/2 wide paper and cut 3/8 inch strips in red for the suspenders and place 2 sticky strips on either end as shown.






Tape the red strips in the front on either side of the buckle straight up.








then angle the strip and tape down in the back to create the criss cross in the back as shown.








Finished pants. Fill with Hershey's kisses or other goodies- candy canes, etc. You can use larger paper - half sheet and score at 2-4-6-8 and bottom at 2 inches to make a bigger box or use a whole sheet- score 1/2 inch to tape down- that leaves you 10 1/2 inches, divide by 4 - so 2 5/8 on each side and across the bottom. This makes for a really cute center piece. Finally all my math skills coming in to full glory!
I will do the Missus Santa tutorial tomorrow.
I am too wiped to think....












Santa and Missus side by side from the front.










Santa and the Missus their backsides showing.
Only 10 days until Christmas!
Thanks for looking!











11 comments:

lifesabeach32940 said...

Oh, what an AWESOME TUTORIAL!! You did an EXCELLENT job. I am definitely going to give this a try!! I can't wait for Santa's "Missus" tutorial tomorrow!!



Judy

Anonymous said...

Lynda:

I can't believe you have the time during the rush of the holidaysto figure out such a great project! You're so organized! Thanks for sharing.

Kerry Parkinson said...

Thanks for the wonderful inspiration and great tutorial - this is going to be the perfect cutlery holder on our Christmas table this year!

Rosa Forino said...

thanks!!! condiviso su facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kreattiva/144623015570424 spero non ti dispiaccia ciao

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Hi Lynda ~ Thanks for the sweet tutorial! These little boxes are so cute that I included them in a list of things I want to make this year. I hope you don't mind, but I used one of your photos and linked back to you on my blog today. If this is not ok, please let me know and I will remove your photo.

Thanks for the adorable inspiration!

http://paperturtle.blogspot.com/2012/11/its-wednesday-and-i-want-to-make-these.html

lemondedis said...

vos boîtes sont adorables !!!... merci pour le partage !... je cherche des freebies sur le web, mais je recherche aussi des créations "faciles" : mon but est de permettre aux gens qui n'ont pas beaucoup d'argent, ou qui débutent le bricolage, de créer des choses simples, ne demandant pas d'outils "exceptionnels" ni trop de matériel... lorsque je trouve des choses qui me plaisent, je partage mes liens et j'en crée un immédiatement !... http://pinterest.com/lemondedis/ (j'ai déjà plus de 12000 liens vers des téléchargements gratuits et quelques autres milliers vers des projets de création !)

Kards by Kathi said...

Could you tell me where the missses clause holder is to match the Santa one. Thanks these are great.

Lisa-Jane said...

These are brilliant! Thank you for such a great tutorial.

Reklam Çanta said...

So cute. www.favoricanta.com

Cindy deRosier said...

I'm the Editor of Fun Family Crafts and wanted to let you know that we have featured your Santa Pants project! You can see it here:

http://funfamilycrafts.com/santa-pants-treat-box/

If you have other kid-friendly craft tutorials, we'd love for you to submit them. If you would like to display a featured button on your site, you can get one from the right side bar of your post above. Thanks for a great project idea!

Sandy said...

Could you tell me where the Mrs. Clause holder is to match Mr. Clause. I've enjoyed making santa and would like to create Mrs. Clause now. TFS