Saturday, January 9, 2010

Scallop Trim Punches





Stampin Up's punches are now more streamlined for those of us who have storage issues. They now come in designs that are collapsible and and coordinating with both edge punches and corner punches to match and can be easily stacked side by side with pictures on the front so you can see what you are grabbing.
On the left is the new scallop trim corner found in the new mini and on the right is the scallop trim border you can get free with any $50 Stampin' Up purchase during sale-a-bration.


The punches come with a button on the bottom that you slide to open the punch.

I wrote the exact dimensions required for the cardstock to give you the number of scallops you want if you want to use the corner punch in addition to go around the side. The sample on the technique card above is 2 3/8 inch square but you can mix and match the dimensions to get 6 scallops on one side and 4 on another for example.

The dimensions are marked that when you slide in your cardstock the it matches up with the lines marked on the underside, not necessarily slid all the way in to the punch (I hope that makes sense- if not it will when you use the punch).
It does take some practice to get a good punch all the way around.
I find it helpful to punch the corner first and use the border punch to follow. Look at the top of the punch to make sure that the design lines up before you punch. It also sometimes helps to turn it over to the bottom to make sure that your cardstock is not askew that can screw up the design and that the paper is really well lined up. It takes a bit of practice to get it just right.
If you don't like to measure it is still perfectly all right. Start with a paper bigger than what yo need then start with a corner punch and punch the edge to follow and when you have a piece big enough cut off the edge close to where you think you want it then line up the design on the top and punch away.


So this is the card I designed to get the feel for the punches. It has a pocket inside for a giftcard or note.
I cut a summer sun CS 6 1/4 x 8 1/2" and scored it at 3 1/4 and 6 1/2" along the 8 1/2 inch side.
The inside is folded over and taped along the side to create a pocket.
I stamped Vintage Vogue flowers in regal rose for the big flowers and stamped off for the smaller flowers to get a lighter shade. Artichoke for the leaves and stamped of Brocade Blue for the images to fill in. Summer sun with a dauber in the center of the flowers as well.
F is inked with brocade blue ink then I used the blender pen to remove the ink then colored the word friends with the summer sun marker to get the 2 different colors before stamping onthe paper. The ribbon is curry polka dot and the button is summer sun corduroy tied with linen thread and attached with glue dot.




I stamped the inside fold with versamark to bet the subtle effect then stamped some leaves in artichoke and attached a flower stamped on white CS with regal rose.







Stampin' Up does not have envelopes for this size so I get them at Targ*t or Office supply store for less than a buck for 80 or so- quality is not up to SU standard but it's cheap and fits the bill perfect. I like to decorate it with similar images and this is how I stamped it.
Sale-a -bration is a great time to stock up on stuff so I got my wish list going. I love the vintage label set so I am ordering a bunch of clear blocks for the clear cling stamps and some wish items from the mini so it will be no problem I am sure......
I did make a new year's resolution to use more of what I already have - but compared to a psychiatrist's bill, this is relatively inexpensive in comparison and I am SO MUCH HAPPIER!
Happy New Year everyone!
Lynda





1 comment:

Beth Adams said...

Thank you for illustrating...I will try your way.