Thursday, November 27, 2008

Cuttlebug Embossing - Tweaked a bit

My superstar stamper and enabler girlfriend Makani came over to play the other night and just WOW'd me with all the things she is doing with her cuttlebug and spellbinder's dies. Check out her SCS gallery and leave her some love- We all love hearing your comments!http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=91627

I thought it would be fun to do a how to for those of us who are visual and like things perfectly lined up- how to make the stacks so that you get the best view of what you are cutting and embossing.

Here is my little card sample of the card embossed with one of the cutting dies.

Here's the how:

Take a sheet of WW CS - here I cut it to 4x 5 1/4 to fit inside standard A2 (4 1/4 x 5 1/2) card.

I stamped a Cardinal Christmas in Staz-on black.


I colored the image with watercolor crayons.


I then chose the die that I thought looked best to frame my little picture and made a stack:
from bottom up-
A plate
B plate
3 pieces of CS for shim
tan mat
CS to emboss
Die facing cut side UP
B plate
by doing it this way, you can see where the die lays on the paper.







and this is what it looks like after you roll it through.



This is what it looks like from the other side. If you like the raised edge look, just flip the paper to the other side when you make the stack. You will probably need to look at the image with the die on the back with a light source to make sure you like the placement and use a very thin repositionable tape to keep it in place. (If too thick it will emboss onto the paper too). the other idea is to emboss first and then stamp on it then you don't have to worry about embossing blind.




Hint: The corners are done using the scallop punch- I used the square but you can use others- just place the corner in and align between 2 scallops as shown- to get even thickness, cut with the corner of the paper at the bottom end of the scallop as shown.





I put little dots of red in the corner-
spellbinder's label die was used to cut and emboss the sentiment on Certainly Celery CS after I stamped it with Always artichoke- tied with kiwi taffeta ribbon and adhere with dimensionals and mount on red ridinghood red CS and another card ready for Christmas!
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
Lynda







No comments: